Summer along the Emerald Coast means you need to wear plenty of sunscreen. Even on cloudy days, the suns UV Rays can can cause damage and can lead to signs of premature aging, like wrinkles, discoloration and skin cancer. After many years on the water, The crew of the Buccaneer and the Southern Star know the importance of using broad based, full spectrum sunscreen every day. Here are our tips for keep your skin safe- over both the long and short term.
Today, you can choose from a physical sunscreen or a chemical sunscreen. A physical sunscreen uses Zinc Oxide or Titanium Oxide to create a physical barrier. This barrier reflects the sun’s rays away from your skin. Since physical sunscreens don’t penetrate the skins surface, they are well tolerated by people who have sensitive skin or are prone to acne and other skin irritations. Chemical based sunscreens penetrate the skin to absorb the radiation before they can do any damage. People with sensitive or acne prone skin may find these sunscreens too irritating.
If you are using a facial product with antioxidants, you can create an extra sun protection barrier. Antioxidants, like Vitamins C and E create free radicals and boost your resistance to UVA and UVB damage.
When you are outside for an extended period of time, you need to reapply your sunscreen every two to three hours. To make sure you are covered adequately, apply a teaspoon of product to your face, and a shot glass (about one ounce) to cover your body. If you are using a spray formula, be sure to apply it out of the wind to make sure it sticks to your body.
Whether you’re spending the whole day or just an afternoon In HarborWalk Village and boards the Southern Star, remember your sunscreen and reapply it often, You won’t want to miss any of the special events this month because you’re “too crispy” to leave your beach house or condo.
· Our sister ship, The Buccaneer sets sail Monday-Friday at 9:30, 12:30, 3:30, and 6:30, and Saturdays at 12:30, 3:30, and 6:30.
· The adults only Scurvy Dog Cruise is the Buccaneer’s adults only cruise every Saturday, from 9:00-10:30 pm.
· Don’t forget about Pardi Gras on Tuesday nights.
· Celebrate local heroes on Thursday Nights as part of HarborWalk Village’s ‘Red, White, and Blue” celebration, complete with music, fireworks, and a flyover by World War II planes.
· Join “Buccaneer Boot Camp” every Wednesday and Friday mornings at 7:00 am.
· Help Pirate Pete find the missing Fisherman during the interactive children’s theater presentation “Pirate Pete and the Case of The Missing Fisherman Sunday afternoons.
· Experience three different adventures in the “7D”movie ride and then give the Laser Maze a try.