Our 2013 Miss Destin will be crowned on Saturday, April 20th at the Destin Community Center, and the Southern Star recently hosted the six Miss Destin Candidates for an afternoon of conversation, dolphin watching, and sightseeing. The six qualified candidates had an opportunity to mix and mingle with the 2013 judges as well as current Miss Destin, Callie Katz. The annual Miss Destin pageant is a tradition almost as old as the Fishing Rodeo. Did you know …?
- Miss Destin is a 65-year-old tradition, and in addition to the title, the crown and the Miss Destin sash, the winner receives $3,000 in scholarships. Each competitor receives $250.00 in scholarship money from the rodeo and additional prizes are given to “Miss Congeniality” and “Most Photogenic”. There’s a another award for Community Involvement, named in Honor of former Miss Destin Peyton LoCicero.
- The Miss Destin pageant is open to all single (never married) young women, between the ages of 16-19, currently enrolled in high school.
- Miss Destin doesn’t have to live in the Destin city limits. Her area code can be 32541, 32540, or 32550.
- Miss Destin is judged on her communications skills, community involvement, personality, and grades.
- She represents the community during the Annual Fishing Rodeo and assists with the weigh ins every day. She is photographed with every recorded fish.
- She participates in the Annual Christmas Parade and emcees the lighting of the Christmas tree every December.
- This year’s candidates for Miss Destin are:
- Hannah Rose Gord, an 11th Grader at Fort Walton Beach High School
- Erin Groth, an 11th grader at Fort Walton Beach High School
- Natalie Lawson, an 11th Grader at Fort Walton Beach High School
- Caroline Oswalt, an 11th Grader at Fort Walton Beach High School
- Bailey Kathryn Rathmann, an 11th Grader at Fort Walton Beach High School
- Cassie M. Roby, a 10th Grader at Niceville High School
All these young women are successful students and are actively involved in their churches, schools, and communities. They love Destin and are interested in becoming a part of this long standing Destin Tradition. The next Miss Destin will join a prestigious family of outstanding young women. Captain Steve, Miss Wendy, and the crew of both the Southern Star and the Buccaneer want to congratulate all the parents of the Miss Destin Pageant for a job well done and wish all the young women competing good luck!
The 2013 Miss Destin Pageant will be held Saturday, April 20th at the Destin Community Center.